Every healthcare center employs a number of distinct containers and these are according to the kind of waste generated. Some of these are meant for sharps wastes while other could serve the purpose of pathological wastes etc.
And most of these containers are reusable in nature, meaning they serve their purpose of waste collection until they are healthy and strong enough.
But while you use them again and again, it is important to keep track of the sanitation and clean these containers regularly. Here are the methods to do so:
The containers should be washed with a good detergent and water, using the agitation or pressure method.
Also Read : What To Do With The Medical Inhalers That Are Used?
- Disinfecting the Container:
Use the EPA registered disinfectants to disinfect the container carefully. Do not forget to follow the instructions of the disinfectant manufacturer.
Other Aspects To Keep Track Of:
Besides cleaning the containers regularly, here are some other things to follow while using the reusable containers:
- Ensure To Get Sturdy Containers:Whether you get your containers from a biohazard waste disposal agency or from the market, you need to ensure that these are FDA-approved, tested and certified to prevent any sort of mishaps. And this is especially applicable with the sharps containers.
- Follow The Manufacturer’s Instructions: While you use, clean, discard or dispose of the reusable containers, it is important to know the correct process. And since all of this is mentioned in the user manual provided by the manufacturer, therefore it is essentials to read the user manual very carefully and follow its instructions.
- While HandlingThe Containers:The medical waste containers need a very careful hand for their handling and the ones concerned with the process should be appropriately trained. Any related process, such as washing, cleaning, disinfecting or transportation etc. should be carried out with extreme care and this should never experience any negligence.
- Storage Of The Containers: Medical waste storage containers are kept properly closed with the lid at a secluded and inaccessible place. They should be within the range of the expert handlers only and never allowed to be used by the regular people.
In a healthcare organization or elsewhere, if you employ reusable containers to store medical waste, it is important to keep track of a few points to maintain the sanitation and prevent any accidents with the same.
Also Read : 5 Tips For The Healthcare Professionals To Stay Safe In The Premises
And for this, it is important that you clean these containers well, keep them securely and let only the most trained professionals handle them for any kind of purpose.